Planning on Installing a Geothermal Heat Pump?

The provincial department of Environment and Local Government has provided guidelines for stakeholders who may be designing and installing these systems.  There are provincial requirements, and for larger systems, your are required to contact the Environmental Assessment Section.  

For more information, please click External link opens in new tab or windowhere or call 506-444-5382.



Building Permits

Building permits exist to protect health, safety and investment by ensuring buildings are built to code, which is the National Building Code.  To ensure your project moves along smoothly, please call the Municipal Office before you begin to build or repair.  If you begin construction prior to obtaining a permit, the fee is doubled.  If the work is not done to Code, it will have to be brought up to required standards.


We are focused on working with our residents and a simple phone call during the planning phase will ensure the process goes smoothly.


When planning your project, you should:

  •         Check the zoning on your property to ensure the intended use is permitted.
  •         Review the setback requirements and maximum site coverage.
  •         Check with our Public Works department as to the location of water and sewer lines.
  •         Contact the South West New Brunswick Service Commission Development Officer at (506) 466-7869 to review requirements for the Building Permit.


Building Permit Applications:


Special Events Permits

The Village of Blacks Harbour encourages the use of municipal facilities and properties by individuals and groups.  If you wish to host an event that is non-exclusive and for which the property or facility was intended, complies with all municipal bylaws and does not require additional municipal resources, a Special Event Permit is not required (for example, a picnic at Main Street Park).  Although a permit is not required for this type of activity, you should still give us a call to see if the space is available.


If you are planning to host an event at a municipal facility or property for a use outside the scope of normal operations, a Special Event Permit is required (for example a concert at the Fundy Arena).  A special event permit must be submitted 60 days in advance of the event in order to ensure adequate time to process the application.  Event organizers should not advertise their event or make financial contributions before obtaining approval. 


Applications can be completed at the Municipal Office or for more information, give us a call at 456-4870.


Dog License (Dog Tag)

As per by-law R.2, all dogs in the Municipality must have a Municipal Dog Tag (note: this is different from the tag you receive at your vet's office).  If your dog is found, we can search your information in our database to ensure they are promptly returned. 

All dogs must be registered annually by January 1 of each calendar year.  If your dog is caught without a license, the fine could be $50. Effective January 1, 2014, it is free to register your dog.